How to create Sales Receipts in QuickBooks Online
Sales receipts are used when selling a product/service to a customer and receiving payment at the same time. A sales receipt combines an invoice and receive payment transaction into a single sales event. There is no accounts receivable. When creating a sales receipt, follow these steps:
- Select a customer if one is not pre-filled for you (or you can create a new customer on the fly).
- Enter an email address if emailing the sales receipt to the customer (this email address will self- populate if you’ve added it to the customer’s profile). You can also include a carbon copy (cc) or blind copy (bcc) when you send a sales receipt by email.
- Enter the appropriate Sales Receipt date and Payment method (if desired).
- In the Deposit to field, select Undeposited Funds if depositing this payment along with other payments. Select the appropriate bank account if this is the only payment in your deposit. This is a “sticky” field. Check to make sure you are depositing the money directly to the bank or to Undeposited Funds if you change it.
- Select the appropriate product/service items within your QuickBooks Online file (although new items can be set up on the fly in the middle of this transaction). Record the remaining details in the fields provided: Description (optional), Quantity (optional), Rate (optional), Amount (required), Tax (if the product/service you have selected is subject to sales tax; also, be sure to select the appropriate Sales Tax Rate using the drop-down box below the Taxable subtotal), Discount (apply if applicable)
- Select Save, Save and send (this emails the sales receipt to the customer), Save and new (to create additional sales receipts) or Save and close.
- After saving, you can always return to a sales receipt to print a packing slip. Select Print or Preview choosing Print packing slip.
Need help with bookkeeping or QuickBooks … click here to review my accounting and bookkeeping services and how I can help!