How to Create Invoices in QuickBooks Online
Invoices are used when selling a product/service and are paid by the customer at some point after the sale. To create an invoice, follow these steps:
1. Select a customer if one has not pre-filled for you (or you can create a new customer on the fly).
2. Enter an email address for the customer (unless it is populated for you from the customer profile). This step is necessary only when emailing the invoice to the customer. You can also include a carbon copy (cc) or blind copy (bcc) when you send an invoice email.
3. Enter the appropriate Terms, Invoice Date and Due Date for the transaction (if you have completed the Terms section in the Payment and billing tab of the customer’s profile, the Terms and Due Date will pre-fill for you).
4. Select the appropriate Product/Service items from within your QuickBooks Online file (although new items can be set up on the fly in the middle of this transaction). Record the remaining details in the fields provided:
- Description (optional)
- Quantity (optional)
- Rate (optional)
- Amount (required)
- Tax (if the product/service you have selected is subject to sales tax); be sure to select the appropriate Sales Tax Rate using the drop-down box below the Taxable subtotal
- Discount (apply if appropriate)
5. Select Save, Save and send (this emails the invoice to the customer), Save and New (if you plan to create additional invoices) or Save and Close.
6. After saving, you can always return to an invoice to print a packing slip. Select Print or Preview choosing Print packing slip.
Need help with your bookkeeping or setting up your QuickBooks account … click here to review my accounting and bookkeeping services and how I can help!